In 2007, Xmo Strata started a project to measure its overall carbon footprintThe total greenhouse gas emissions caused by an organization, event, product or person., and will look to identify areas of the business that are contributing to environmental degradation. The aim is to monitor the level of CO2 emitted across the business as a whole, look at ways of reducing its emissions, and to set targets to measure the success of its efforts.
The company have chosen to measure all three scopes of emissions according to the GHG Protocol published by the World Resources Institute. Scope 1 includes emissions caused by sources owned or controlled by the company, e.g. company owned vehicles and gas boilers. Scope 2 includes emissions from purchased electricity, steam or heat. Scope 3 includes emissions caused by the company, however not from sources it owns, e.g. travel in private cars or by air.
Areas to be introduced as part of the monitoring include:
- Mileage of all vehicles used for work purposes, including engineer’s vans, company cars, sub-contractor’s vehicles and business mileage in private cars or hire vehicles
- Business flights
- Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWPMEWP - Mobile Elevated Working Platform.) fuel usage
- Gas usage in both Marden and Telford premises
- Electricity usage in both Marden and Telford premises
- Air conditioning (HFC emissionsGreenhouse gas emitted into the environment.) in Marden headquarters
- Production and transport of purchased materials
- Wastage – including metal, tubes, paper and general office waste
- Courier services
- Printing services
- Water usage